Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mindy Derosfir, at your service!

I spent the first 32 years of my life being Cindy Jones.  Not surprisingly, my name didn't get misspelled or mispronounced very often.  When I married Steve and became Cindy deRosier, I knew that my new last name would cause some problems.  Pretty much nobody pronounces it correctly on the first try.  Some of my longtime friends don't know how to say it.  (It is French for "of the rose" and is pronounced de-ROSE-e-a.  Think Cartier, Garnier, or dossier.)  That was quite a shock for someone who grew up as a Jones.

And as difficult as deRosier is to say, it is even harder to spell.  It starts with a lowercase letter and has a capitol letter in it with no space in between, which freaks people out.  We are frequently alphabetized after the Z's, as if lowercase d is somehow not a D at all. 

For the last 7 years, I've been collecting address labels and other things with ridiculous spellings of my name.  I keep them in a file labeled, "deRosier is not THAT hard."  I have enough that I could do a whole book.  Instead, I chose the 'best' and made this layout.


I encourage all of you to collect misspellings of your name and make your own layout!  It was so much fun... and quite hilarious to see all the weird versions of my name in one place.

7 comments:

  1. Cindy this is AWESOME!!! GREAT IDEA!! I get called Pam Callagahan, Pam Gallagher and other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great page... German derivation fares no better. My last name is just impossible for many, no one knows what to do with the "e". I should carry a tape recorder - it's too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is too funny! What a great idea for a page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great story! The programs for my rehearsal dinner had our last name misspelled. Instead of Mooney, it was Moonie, back in the day of the Moonies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool page Cindy! I get called Heather LAUNDRY all the time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that's pretty neat. Though, I do wonder if it's better than the editing softwares of sites like photobucket or flickr.

    ReplyDelete