Thursday, December 13, 2012

Gingerbread Birdhouse


Cindy here!  Every year, I basically stop scrapbooking around Thanksgiving and don't start up again until after the New Year.  Holiday crafts and baking take place of the scrapbooking I'd normally be doing.  But just because I'm not putting photos on a page doesn't mean I'm not using my scrapbook supplies.

I recently decorated a plain wooden birdhouse using my scrapbook supplies.  Recognize any tools or products I used?

 
If you guessed paint, border punches, a paper trimmer, Glossy Accents, and Mod Podge... you're right!

I started by painting the birdhouse with a base coat of brown paint.  When that was dry, I carefully painted white everywhere the icing would be on a real gingerbread house.  I made the candy cane perch by wrapping a sliver of red paper around the white post, then carefully gluing the ends in place.  The shingles were made with Fiskars' Scalloped Sentiment border punch.  The small and large circles were from Fiskars' Bubbles border punch.

 

I added Glossy Accents over all the circles to make them shine like candies would.  Finally, I covered the whole thing with several coats of Mod Podge.  I love how it turned out!


3 comments: