Monday, July 29, 2013

An idea for storing ribbon~

Hi there---Sheila here today to show you an idea for storing ribbon.  I have WAAAAAYYY too much ribbon in my life.  It was usually in a jumbled mess and I would just forget I had it.

Meanwhile, about ten years ago, I was fortunate enough to stumble on a sewing kit in a thrift store.  It was quite old, so none of the thread was good.  I unwound it all and revealed gorgeous old wooden spools.  Now mind you, this was before Pinterest, so those spools, though I loved them, stayed in a box for years! 

One day, my unused spool collection and jumbled ribbon collection came together in a fabulous way---
 All I did was thread a small length of twine through a wooden spool.  You wind your ribbon around the spool, and tie the thread in a knot over the ribbon's end.  It keeps the ribbon down.

Here is how it looks from the side:

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, that's all well and good, but I don't have a spool collection.  If not, a straw works just as well.  Just cut it to length, and thread the twine through it, like I did below.

It is still super easy to pull the ribbon you need out from under the twine.
Here is the basket I keep out in my craft room. Some ribbon is wound around spools, some straws, and some clothespins.  I think it looks so pretty!

Thank for stopping by today to see how I store my ribbon!  I'd love to see how you store yours!
VISIT THE CONTRIBUTOR'S BLOGS/GALLERIES
Cathy Dippolito
Dolores Schaeffer
Cindy deRosier
Marlene Murphy
Lesley Walker
Gael Spence
Sarah Routledge
Sharon Fritchman
Tanya Ham
Sheila Burns
Pam Callaghan



6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!! I don't have many spools--never thought of straws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired! And guess what?! My mom just gave me an old sewing box that belonged to my grandmother! Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea! I have rubber bands around mine, but the string is less likely to dent the ribbon and definitely looks cuter.

    ReplyDelete